Kia Orana and Welcome to our visitors page where we hope to help you a little with your planning for your trip to the Cook Islands. Whether you are a first time traveller, or a return visitor, we will have something for you here.
There are many options for accommodation, getting around, activities, buying gifts and the like, so here are just a sample of tips & ideas for you to help you plan your CrossFit holiday on Rarotonga.
How do I book, pay and join Tumuroa CrossFit classes?
When to travel?
Any exciting dates we should know about?
There are a number of events throughout 2015, some of which include:
- International Triathlon Festival in early May (find out more at www.rarotri.com)
- Te Maeva Nui in late July and early August (constitution celebrations, which includes local dance competitions, parades, crafts and more!)
- Manureava Aquafest late August & early September in Aitutaki (kite boarding competitions, SUP boarding and more) www.manureva-aquafest.com
- Round Raro Road Race in September
- Sevens in Heaven (Cook Islands Interational 7s with teams from all around the pacific) Held first weekend of November
- Vaka Eiva at the end of November (700 – 1200 paddlers from around the pacific compete in a week long regatta)
You can find out about these events and much more at www.cookislands.travel/events
What about CrossFit events?
- CrossFit Opens – we use the CrossFit Opens as a base for an inhouse competition, in 2015 we had 59 members register for the Opens and a number of visitors that came through and joined us on various weekends. If you are wanting to book a holiday during the Opens but worried you will miss out on doing the workout, worry no more, drop us an email to let us know when you are coming and we will fit you into the roster to compete along with our members – you will have a blast!!
Tropical Tango Throwdown – we have slowly been building up an international event where fellow CrossFitters from around the world can come and join us for a Throwdown in the Tropics. A fun time for all that includes 1.5 days of WODs during the start of our Summer when temperatures are bearable, prizes from some great sponsors, and overall just a good time with your CrossFit brothers and sisters here in the Cook Islands. The Throwdown is a Tango of 2 Men or 2 Women in 2015. In 2016 we will be looking to increase this to 2 Men or 2 Women or 1 Male+1 Female, plus scaled divisions. If you are heading this way in October, maybe you will be interested in joining us so drop us a line and we’ll let you know the details.
Where to stay?
There are so many options for accommodation around Rarotonga, but if you are looking for something close to the box so you have the flexibility to come for workouts as often as you like then here are a couple of options for you that are within walking distance, or even as little as a 5min drive away.
- Heather’s Beach House – right on the beach, 7-10min walk from the box, open plan layout with queen bed and couch, sleeps 3 but can add more bedding if requested, perfect for watching the sun set right at your fingertips every day. www.holidayhouses.co.nz/
- Edgewater Resort – across the road from the box, 5-7min walk from the box, children friendly, hotel rooms or apartments available. www.edgewater.co.ck
- Lagoon Breeze Villas – 5-7min drive from the box, children friendly, 1-2 bedroom huts available. www.lagoonbreezevillas.com
What to do?
There are so many activities around Rarotonga that you can have fun with, here are some of our favourites:
- Raro Safari Tours – Round island and mountain safari with a little history of the Cook Islands. Located in Town. www.rarosafaritours.co.ck
- Koka Lagoon Cruises – Lagoon tour, snorkelling, lunch and many laughs. Located on the East side. www.kokalagooncruises.com
The Big Fish Dive Centre – Many options including Lagoon dives and Reef dives. Located on the West side. www.thedivecentre-rarotonga.
Ariki Holidays – Night Paddleboard Lagoon Cruises, Kite Boarding Intros and Packages, Bungalows (located on the East side), Massage Therapy (with arguably the best massage therapist on the island in our opinion).www.arikiholidays.com
Where to shop?
- Bergman & Sons – Looking for the perfect gift for that special someone, or just yourself :-), shop Cook Island Black Pearl jewellery here. Located in Town.www.bergmanandsons.com
- Vonnias – Looking for gifts for the whole family or friends. Vonnias has a wide range of souvenirs, lotions & oils, apparel and more for you to choose from. They are located on the West side, in Town and in Aitutaki. www.vonnias.co.ck
- Prime Foods – Located in Town. Best selection of meats. Wide range of NZ and Locally grown produce. Everything you need to have a clean & healthy eating holiday.
- Wigmores Supermarket – Located on the South side of the Island. Open 7 days a week. Has a wide range of locally grown produce, Paleo inspired food selections and more.
- The Bond Store – Located in Town. Huge range of wines, liqueurs, and more from all around the world. Non-Alcoholic and Paleo inspired options also available.
- Tumuora CrossFit – Want some Clean Lean Protein, Good Green Stuff and Kids Good Stuff (superfood), Nuun Rehydration Tablets, Blue Dinosaur Paleo Bars, Coconut Oil, Tumuora CrossFit souvenir tee or singlet, Natural Grip Palm Guards & Goat Tape and more?? Then we have it all for you to choose from at the box.
Want an Organised Holiday, Hassle Free, No Stress, No Worries?We have partnered up with WODVentures, who organise Exotic Fitness Retreats all around the world, with the Cook Islands being their #1 Destination. WODVentures visit our shores not once, not twice but 4-5 times a year, so there is bound to be a date that fits in with your travel schedule. www.wodventures.com.au