Modern naturopathic practitioners are joining with ancient Ayurvedic health practitioners in an understanding of just how powerful a detoxification and healing tool oil pulling really is.
Although coconut oil is not the only oil that can be used to oil pull (others include sesame, sunflower and olive), I’m a big fan of its long list of health-promoting properties (for both oil pulling and/or coconut oil ingestion), listed below:
- Antibacterial – stops bacteria that cause gum disease, throat infections, urinary tract infections and ulcers in their tracks.
- Anticarcinogenic – keeps dangerous cancer cells from spreading while boosting immunity.
- Antifungal – destroys infection-promoting fungus and yeast.
- Anti-inflammatory – suppresses inflammation and repairs tissue.
- Antimicrobial – inactivates harmful microbes and fights infection.
- Antioxidant – protects from free radical damage.
- Antiparasitic – can help rid the body of tapeworms and other parasites.
- Anti-protozoa – kills protozoan infection in the gut.
- Antiviral – helps to kill dangerous viruses that cause influenza, measles, hepatitis and more.
Some positive side effects of oil pulling may include the following:
- Overall strengthening of teeth, gums and jaw
- Plaque prevention
- Prevention of halitosis (bad breath)
- Prevention of cavities and diseases such as gingivitis
- Prevention of lip, mouth and throat dryness
- Possible remedy for jaw soreness and TMJ
- Relief of migraine headache
- Hormone imbalance correction
- Inflammation reduction
- Support of normal kidney function
- Relief from sinus congestion
- Relief from eczema
- Improved vision
- Pain reduction
- Aids in detoxification
- Helps with insomnia
Follow these instructions to perform the oil pulling method:
- Oil pulling should be done on an empty stomach (preferably first thing in the morning)
- Use one tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil – you may want to start with ½ tablespoon and work your way up to a tablespoon.
- Swish the oil around in your mouth slowly and be sure that the oil reaches all parts of your mouth – do not swallow.
- Swish for five to ten minutes. Try to work up to twenty minutes if you can.
- Spit out all of the oil when you are done and rinse your mouth with water.